log inregister

accidents and emergencies

Every out of school care service will have accident and emergency procedures in place and a method of recording information on anything that happens to your children while in the care of the service. As parents or carers you have to provide up to date and accessible contacts for you or named substitutes, and sign permission forms for any procedures which happen in terms of an accident or emergency situation. Every six months the service will ask you and your child to update their information files and you must ensure that you take the time to do this as the service needs to keep track of changes in your child's life and up to date medical and contact information for their GP and other medical professionals they may have contact with. You should always inform the service if your child has had a recent accident e.g. a blow on the head, and how it happened and was treated medically, so that the service can keep an eye on your child for any effects.

Sometimes an emergency is not a physical or medical accident to your child or children but a situation with the premises or local community. For example; sudden adverse weather, or roads being blocked, a police incident locally, or fire or flood damage to the premises. Other national emergencies such as the spread of foot and mouth disease or fear of other widespread diseases have, in the past, led to closures of school and out of school care services, or made it necessary for staff, parents and children to follow strict national guidelines, whilst they were in operation. While such situations are thankfully rare, it is important to follow any additional guidance issued in terms of situations like this.

You may also encounter an accident or emergency in your own life, therefore it is important you let the service know about trusted alternative people to contact in order to arrange for your child to be picked up from the service if you are unable to do so yourself. It is usual for services to contact their local social work department if a parent or carer does not turn up and there is no alternative carer organised.

Please also look at our section on play and risk where the need for children to experience adventurous and risky play is vital to their development, therefore services might ask you to allow your child to take part in supervised and supported activities which do carry a degree of risk, which is, however, normal for developing children in that age range.

Further Reading

Up to Top